Sunday, July 09, 2006

Rose goggles and the loss of them

On Thursday, my anthropology prof talked about two schools of Christian thought during the Renassiance, the monogenists, who believed that all humanity was divine and that only the indigenous peoples of other places had simply devolved, the second school of thought was the Polygenists, who believed that it was only Europeans that were Christians and that the other people weren't even human. That is one of the reasons why you had the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and the slavery and killing of indigenous North Americans.

Anyhow, I thought we as humans had evolved and all differences that were in the past were in the past. Boy was I wrong! My prof did mention something about White Supremacists using the words of Thomas Hobbes and other notable philosophers of the time and took them out of context in regards to Africans and other non-Whites as being savages. I believed that these groups were fringe groups and were merely a nuisance. I believed that these groups didn't have a large following.

I checked Wikipedia (As I do all the time to feed my curiosity) and there were many many many notable names of white supremacists, the majority of them being in the US (No surprises there!). Anyhow, the lingo and expression used on their websites were very interesting. They kind of reminded me of Bob Ewell in "To Kill A Mockingbird", using 'nigger' and other racist terms in their language. They talked about the Nigerian 419 scams (To which they called 'Nigeria' as 'Niggeria'. That's no typo!), which unfortunately is a chimera on our cyber planet, and used that as a justification of why they believe they are supreme over all other skin colours (Although, a white scammer was caught just over a year ago).

Overall, my heart hurts that the ideology of white supremacy still lives today in our societies. I think that living in a very multicultural society, where you can get Italian and Japanese food on the same block, has given me a rosy view of the world at large. Unfortunately, it's things like these that hinder us and stop us from reaching a point where we all can embrace each other for being different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home