Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mean Girls and how it wasn't my high school!

Over 2 years after the fact, I saw the movie Mean Girls. It's a film that was shot at my old high school! There's only one difference, even though my old high school was in the middle of a primarily white and pretty affluent area of town (Noted by a friend as a place where $3.5 million homes and bums can peacefully co-exist), it was nothing like the high school shown in Mean Girls. ECI was everything that Mean Girls wasn't! I have some good experiences up until Grade 11, after which I learned that I couldn't stay there forever and had to go to university, so grade 12 was a bit of a crap year for me.

ECI had this camp thingy called "White Pine". You go there in grade 10 and just get to act like a bit of an idiot for a week, after which you come back and get involved and other things for the rest of high school, and continue acting like an idiot, provided you have the balls, or chutzpah to do so! Everyone gets to know each other and you meet the people that you never thought existed. Friends were made, crushes were formed, and broken, and a new you emerged, mentally. You returned with confidence and got involved! I was involved in grade 9, with Reach For the Top, but that's about all my involvement in my first year of high school. Grades 10 and 11 were the power years for me!

Afterwards, I tried everything I could to make my years in high school worth it. I really cannot remember anything that I learned in high school, other than improving my ability to masterfully play with numbers and devise meanings and patterns in my head, and even then, I taught myself that, but it impressed a lot of people! I tried, and failed, due to an incompetent team member, to create a radio station for the high school, I was able to help our team win a few Reach For The Top games, but we never rose to the calibre of MCI or Leaside, and I won an award, for best Junior Player in Reach For The Top that year! I was head boy for prefects! In high school, I was a nerd, a popular person (Don't know whether I was popular to hate or popular period!), and an overall nice guy (People can dispute that!).

Overall, high school was great! The cliques and groups that existed in Mean Girls did not exist in ECI. I remember seeing the hot chicks hanging out with the Asian guys, and not for any sort of sexual reasoning, the immigrants (for lack of a better term) helping out the jocks, the jocks fraternizing with the nerds, it was good! I can't really say that there was any sort of way to define who was who or what title they carried like the characters would in that film, we were all mixed together like assorted nuts and we got along very well together. I don't remember a lot of people whom I graduated with, since I'm terrible with names, but the memories of White Pine and the semi-formals among the other things will never go away. High school was fun, I hope that if you graduated from ECI in 2004, you would think so as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home