Monday, January 08, 2007

Money, old or new?

This had me thinking for a long while. "Old money" or "New money"? A lot of my friends on this side of the world tend to be "new money" while I'm just your average guy. Even though I've known these people for a long while, I still find it interesting that the "new money" people like to talk about, well, money while the "old money" likes to talk about other things like traveling and the such. That's why I don't have very many "old money" friends on this side of the world.

I honestly cannot stand it when somebody talks about the money they have in their bank account or what they did to get it. It's not interesting. I'm friends with a person because they intrigue, interest and challenge me, not because of what they have. I'm not a woman that has friends who have money and nothing else to add to that.

When I'm with my friends and family in Iran, the old money type, I feel so relaxed, at home and at peace. Some of them aren't even Persian Iranians; they can be Arabs, Lebanese, Palestinians, and other creeds and nationalities, but their personality and class makes me feel like a part of them. They talk about the adventures they had or the trips they have taken, not about how much they found this article of clothing at a boutique. They seem to have an interest in everything around them and actually look around their surroundings. They treat even the poorest people as people and are modest in nature. I would do anything to be with them and chill out right now.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that people with new money aren't my type, since all they can do is talk about their wealth and live extravagantly beyond their means. The old money people, while exclusive, are a different group of people, and in general have a more rounded personality than the previous group. If I were to accumulate any wealth in my lifetime, I certainly wouldn't hang out with the new money group since being around them sickens me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home