Saturday, July 07, 2007

A lot of things happening...

Ok, it seems like I'm out of my funk after returning from Europe, going back to work and just getting back to real life in general. If you want to see pictures of my trip to Europe, I better know who you are, and if you're on Facebook, you can see them. Among other things, I've helped out my mom in moving house. Europe is now a memory, but a very sweet one.

Anyhow, today at my mother's house, someone rang the doorbell, and lo and behold, it was a Jehovah's Witness! As far as I can remember, I never had a Jehovah's Witness come to the door, so this was another first for me! They were giving out their propaganda and telling me of a big gathering of Witnesses at Copps Coliseum, and I was invited! I told them that I wasn't religious and wasn't interested in converting because I'm a Satanist. Naturally, they took that like a slap in the face and left.

I'm actually a secular Muslim, but according to them, it's no better than a Satanist! They're not the Westboro Baptist Church, but they do share a lot in common. Anyways, I never really thought about why Jehovah's Witnesses are viewed as a cult, just that they are. So, I looked up Jehovah's Witnesses online and with the regular Watchtower and other publications dedicated to this, I saw sites that, had I been a Witness, would not be able to read because I wouldn't have the freedom to do so.

The sites I looked at talked about people's families being torn apart because one of the members said something or had done something. I would have expected that a religion, like other religions, would intervene and take a diplomatic stance, but instead they encourage the shunning or disfellowship of the family member. Usually the shunning happens because the member read something about the Witnesses from a former Witness or something to that matter and has formed his or her opinions about their religion.

I'm saying this with utmost diplomacy, but I find that Jehovah's Witnesses forbid you to think on your own. You cannot read anything except the associated publications with the religion (Mind manipulation), you cannot congregate with non-members or former members (Social manipulation), no birthdays or any sort of celebration are allowed, even mainstream religious ones, and you have to dedicate around 10 hours of your time per month going door to door and spreading the word.

It appears to me that this establishment, for lack of a better term, controls the lives of people. I wouldn't want to be a part of it and I wouldn't know why people would. Their teachings don't reflect that of Christianity in general, yet they profess to be Christians, and they preach love and tolerance, like other religions, but shun members for thinking for themselves.

So basically, don't knock on my door, I'm not converting. Check out more info here, and here and see how the people are controlled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home