Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Yale Shmale, YOU FAIL!!!!

I don't really care about this incident, since it's regarding a university of a lower order than U of T, but I care at the same time since it concerns our good friend George W. I'm not a fan of the antics of Dubya, and I'm not very pro-Republican either. As a matter of fact, I believe that the Democrats are the only good leaders of the US, and that the Republicans are only and only concerned about the corporations that they receive campaign contributions from. The Democrats have the same problem, but they seem a little more benevolent than the GOP.

So anyways, back on topic, I saw these posters on campus that had a picture of Bush and on them said "Yale Shmale". They were ads for Lakehead University, a small university up north in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I personally thought that the ads were quite interesting and eye catching, since they caught my eye, and I don't pay attention to ads anymore. Anyways, I don't know what the fuss should be about. Dubya graduated from Yale, big deal! His father was wealthy, it doesn't mean that because you're wealthy, you're gonna be smart. Lakehead University was showing that an elite institution doesn't automatically make you the best. Maybe I have the rose goggles on, but I bet that even a guy who was educated in Ryerson or York can become president and beat the guy from Harvard or Yale or Stanford. No offence to the Ryerson or York people and equally no offence to the Harvard or Yale people!

Now Clinton, he was an inspiration. Bill Clinton was born into an uneducated family, or a family with no postsecondary education (I'm not sure of which one) in Arkansas. He was from a regular, average joe family. He studied his ass off to become what he is today and I admire him for that. Not only that, he was able to lobby for the poor of the US. In a land of so much wealth, there is very little equality when it comes to healthcare, education and essential services. He worked to change that, although he could've done better regarding a universal medicare coverage. If I were to ever move to the United States, I would join the Democratic Party there just because they're a little more diplomatic with the so called 'rogue states' and they have no desire to spend all the money they have on military but rather on social services.

I heard today that the government of Ontario is planning to put money into bursaries and scholarships for those whose parents or family never had a post secondary education. Now if only they would do that in the states, so that at least there would be equal opportunity for everyone. Everybody might not go to university, but at least they would've had the opportunity to go. Back when my life ends...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home