Monday, July 24, 2006

More From Me....

Well, to start off, yesterday, I watched the Miss Universe pageant. No real reason to watch it other than the fact that I was bored and was too lazy to reach the remote. Anyhow, I realized how the world perception of beauty has gone towards the European perception of petite stature and a relatively small to moderately sized bust (I have no idea what size cups are small and what are huge) along with a 34-24-34 size (Which totals to 92! I'm a math geek, I know!). Now, no doubt that the women were quite pretty, especially the Swiss miss (She's stolen my heart!), but I realized that the result of having one type of feminine beauty is a result of colonization in the first and second rounds.

For those of you that don't know what the first and second round of colonialism was, the first round was the discovery of the New World (North, Central and South America) in 1492 by Columbus thus bringing many spices and goods like potatoes and different peppers to Europe, which technically fuelled the Industrial Revolution, and thus causing the Empires to expand, mainly into Africa, in order to open up new markets.

Along with bringing new markets, a new class of colonial administrators, sometimes from the indigenous locals, were created in the colonies, thus having them adopting new European values and to do "European things" and to think European. The European thinking got a little too far methinks because along with colonial administration, media, in one form or another, entered and European beauty came into the colonies (for markets) thus showing skinny and petite models and encouraging women to be small.

This is just a small example of what causes one perception of something like beauty. Everybody now strives to be the smallest they can be, and as a result, can lead to anorexia and "bag of bones" syndrome! Just embrace the person you are and get on with life. Even if you achieve a certain body type, it won't stay with you forever. There is something called ageing and eventually, it'll come and slap you in the face! Anyhow, before I rant anymore, I'll just go now! It's sometimes liberating to write here, and I am a guy! However, I'm not a white male, but I am between the ages of 18-49, so people will at least give me one ear to listen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home